Gary Bartz - Bartz 1980 Lp



I have wanted to present this album since I started to operate my blog. As I remember it was about in 1996 when I found this album in Athens on Ipokratous Street. I noticed immediately that producers on the album were James Mtume and Reggie Lucas. I said: "Oh my god !". I had already another album entitled "Love affair" by Gary Bartz which was released in 1978 on Capitol Records. I was very curious to go to my home, so as to hear this album. I could not hear it in the shop.
Two hours later I said: "This album is not only one of the best soul/jazz/funk albums but also the best album !!!". I was really amazed.


What can I say about Gary Bartz ? I need many days to describe everything about him. I have recently read an article describing Gary Bartz when someone saw him in a club in Baltimore. He said that "Gary Bartz play two solos on every song, one at the begining and one at the end".

Gary Bartz is an alto and soprano saxophonist and clarinetist. He was born in 1940, Baltimore, Maryland. He graduated from the Baltimore City College high school and The Juilliard School. He has collaborated with great jazz musicians such as Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Max Roach, Jackie McLean and many others.
In fact, the collaboration between James Mtume and Reggie Lucas with Gary Bartz began in 1979 when Gary Bartz played saxophone on the albums of Phillys Hyman entitled "You know how to love me" and Rena Scott's entitled "Come on inside". In both of these albums Mtume and Lucas were producers.
In 1980 Gary Bartz recorded an album with the help of team James Mtume and Reggie Lucas. The team consisted by Basil Fearington on bass, Reggie Lucas and Ed "Tree" Moore on guitars, Harry Whitaker, Hubert Eaves and Mtume on keyboards, Mtume on percussion, Howard King on drums and Tawatha Agee on vocals. The album entitled "Bartz" was released on Elektra Records in 1980.
Produced by James Mtume and Reggie Lucas. String and horn arrangements by Wade Marcus and Sinclair Acey. String and horn contractor by Gene Bianca. All rhythm arrangements by J.Mtume and R.Lucas. All vocals arrangements by J.Mtume, R.Lucas and Tawatha. Backing vocals by Tawatha, Cindy Jordan, J.Mtume and R.Lucas.
I have chosen three tracks entitled "After Glow" , "Need your love" and "Keep goin' on". I want to note that solo flugel horn on "After Glow" is by Danny Coleman.







Vocals on "Keep goin' on" by Tawatha. It was written by Tawatha and Howard King. I think this is the best song Tawatha has ever sung.



"Keep goin' on" was also released as a single on Arista Records. It was also included on the CD called "The Best Of Mtume & Lucas" which was released in 2004 on Expansion Records.



Recently the album "Bartz" was released in CD. Of course I bought it.

Note: The above posted tracks are not played in full

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arnie Love & The Loveletts - Me, Myself & I

The Muglestons - The Muglestons 1977 Lp

Sir James Randolph - The Sophisticated Funk of James Randolph 1981 Lp